Religion & Beliefs
AgriProcessors Roundup: Fake Documents, Underage Workers, and the Boycott That Wasn’t
Last we heard, Agriprocessor’s PR firm had been caught trying to smear the reputation of Rabbi Morris Allen and Uri L’Tzedek, but there have been several developments since then. Failed Messiah broke the news that the May 12th raid also … Read More
Last we heard, Agriprocessor’s PR firm had been caught trying to smear the reputation of Rabbi Morris Allen and Uri L’Tzedek, but there have been several developments since then.
- Failed Messiah broke the news that the May 12th raid also uncovered more than 100 fake and fraudulent identity documents from the AgriProcessors Human Services department. It also seems that workers knew they could come to the Human Services department to get fake documents. So you can add forging official documents to the list of AgriProcessor’s evils.
- The New York Times has an in depth look at labor violations in the AgriProcessors plant, including child labor violations. There were kids as young as 13 working there, despite regulations that prohibit anyone under 18 from working on the floor of the meatpacking plant because of the danger involved. One of the kids who worked there tells the Times he felt like he was a slave.
- CBS reports that many workers have been docked pay that they earned before the raid.
- The Jew and the Carrot has an interview with Uri L’Tzedek co-director Ari Hart about whether the AgriProcessors boycott was called off too quickly.
- Jewschool has an amazing post about the recent rally in Postville to support the workers. The pictures are especially fantastic.
- Want to get familiar with the crooks and creeps of Agriprocessors? Check out our Most Wanted.