Arts & Culture
Jewcy Zeitgeist: Voodoo in Queens, World Hunger Increases, and Supermodel Pregnant
By Ashley Tedesco / June 19, 2009
Here are today’s top stories in no particular order: North Korea has
Here are today’s top stories in no particular order:
- North Korea has pointed its missiles at Hawaii as tensions between the nation and the U.S. continue to mount. Government officials are working to fortify the islands and ward off attack.
- The Senate has approved a "cash for clunkers" plan that will subsidize the trade-ins of old gas guzzlers for more fuel efficient vehicles, up to $4500.
- Supermodel Gisele Bundchen and her husband, football player Tom Brady, are expecting their first child. I hope supermodels are immune to stretch marks.
- A police inspector is dead after a car bomb exploded in northern Spain. The Basque separatist group ETA is being blamed.
- In another case of parenting gone wrong, a Queens mother has been charged with assault after conducting a voodoo ritual that involved lighting her 6-year-old daughter on fire. The girl has since recovered and has been placed in foster care.
- World hunger has hit one billion, up nearly 100 million since the global economic crisis. Nearly 650 million of those undernourished people live in the Asia-Pacific region of the world.
- Former president Bush may have a thing or two to say about what he deems the failures of the new administration, but the White House had a pretty simple retort: "We won."
- Two U.S. troops were killed by a roadside bomb in southern Afghanistan. No other information has been released at this time.